Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Cumberland Gap



Marker ID: THC 1D 8
Location: on Merlyn St near the corner of Colwyn St in Cumberland Gap, TN
County: Claiborne
Coordinates: N 36° 35.950    W 083° 39.983
  36.59916666    -83.66638333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3X40
 



Text:

First explored, 1750; Long Hunters used it until 1760, and Daniel Boone in 1769, cutting the Wilderness Trail through it in 1775. Hosts of pioneers followed even before the road was built in 1796. Postal service was established in 1795 and a post office in 1803. The Gap changed hands 4 times during War Between the States.

Tennessee Historical Commission