Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Wood's Fort



Marker ID: THC 1C 23
Location: U.S. 25E, Cocke County, 4 miles from U.S. 25
County: Cocke
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

About 4 miles east, near the junction of the Pigeon and French Broad Rivers, this fort was built about 1783. John Gilliland, who donated the land on which Newport was first built, had corn growing in the same area at about the same time or a little later.