Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Swaggerty Fort



Marker ID: THC 1C 64
Location: on U.S. 321 west of Banger Hollow Rd, Parrottsville, TN
County: Cocke
Coordinates: N 36° 0.841    W 083° 4.212
  36.01401666    -83.0702
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNFWP
 



Text:

This fort, one of only two known remaining blockhouses in Tennessee, was built about 1787 by James Swaggerty for protection from the Indians. Located on land of his Uncle Abraham Swaggerty, it consists of three levels. The cantilevered structure was built over a stream which provided water supply.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.