Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Civilian Conservaton Corps



Marker ID:  
Location: Coffee County Courthouse, North Spring St, Manchester, TN
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 35° 28.986    W 086° 5.31
  35.4831    -86.0885
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Civilian Conservation Corps was launched by President Franklin D. Roosevelt April 5, 1933 as a lifeline for undernourished sons of the great depression. Each company consisted of about 200 men who were housed in Tennessee barracks under the management of army personnel. They were paid $30 per month of which $25 was sent home. They did conservation work and the corps lasted until America entered World War II. The full story of the CCC participation is this war will never be fully known. We hope this monument here in Coffee County will promote among Tennesseans and the nation an understanding and appreciation for what the CCC did for our state and nation. If you and future generations see fit to raise voices in song of praise for us we will consider this our reward. Dedicated by Coffee County to honor the hundreds of boys who served from this county and surrounding areas

Erected 1999 by Coffee County.