Historic Markers Across Tennessee



University of Nashville



Marker ID: THC 3A 40
Location: 724 2nd Avenue South, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Moving to a building in this area in 1802, Davidson Academy became Davidson College in 1803 and Cumberland College in 1806. Lack of funds closed it in 1816; it reopened in 1822 and became the University of Nashville in 1826. One of its developments was Peabody College for Teachers, which went to its present location in 1911.