Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Nashville Female Academy



Marker ID: THC 3A 43
Location: Church and McLemore streets, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Occupying five acres extending north and westward, this school was founded in 1817. First principal was Dr. Daniel Berry, of Salem, Mass. It suspended in 1862, Federal troops occupying the buildings. Reopening a short distance southward as Lanier Female Academy, it later returned to its own site. It closed finally in 1878.