Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Holy Rosary Cathedral



Marker ID: THC 3A 74
Location: on the Tennessee State Capitol Grounds, 6th Avenue. Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 9.993    W 086° 47.037
  36.16655    -86.78395
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8TX
 



Text:

Near here in 1820 the first Catholic Church in Tennessee was built by Irish Catholic workers then building a bridge over Cumberland River. In 1830 a brick structure known as Holy Rosary Cathedral succeeded the frame building. Here Bishop R. P. Miles, first Bishop of Tennessee was installed Oct. 15, 1838. When St. Mary's Cathedral was built in 1847, Holy Rosary Church became St. John's Hospital & Orphanage. The site was sold to the state in 1857.