Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Maxwell House Hotel



Marker ID: THC 3A 77
Location: on Church Street 0.1 miles west of 4th Avenue North, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 9.813    W 086° 46.775
  36.16355    -86.77958333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM883
 



Text:

On this site stood the Maxwell House Hotel built by John Overton in 1859. It was destroyed by fire on Christmas Day, 1961. After wartime use as a barracks, hospital and prison, it was formally opened as a hotel in 1869. Presidents Andrew Johnson, Rutherford Hayes, Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt, William McKinley, William Howard Taft, and Woodrow Wilson lodged here, as did a host of celebrities from the world of business, politics, the arts and military services.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.