Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Downtown Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: THC 3A 78
Location: at the intersection of 5th Ave N and Church St, nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 9.788    W 086° 46.801
  36.16313333    -86.78001666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM884
 



Text:

From 1814 to 1955 this was the site of the First Presbyterian Church. President Andrew Jackson was received into the church in 1838. James K. Polk was inaugurated governor here in 1839. The building designed in the Egyptian style by William Strickland, architect of the State Capitol, was dedicated in 1851. When the First Church moved, the Downtown Church was organized.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission