Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Sulphur Dell



Marker ID: THC 3A 94
Location: Sulphur Dell Park, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Nashville's first (1885) and last (1963) professional baseball was played in the Athletic Park which formerly occupied this block. Traditionally baseball was introduced in Nashville in 1862 by soldiers of the Union army of occupation who played the game here. This low-lying area, originally called Sulphur Spring Bottom, was first called "Sulphur Dell" by local sports writer, Grantland Rice. In 1963 this was the oldest playing grounds still in use in professional baseball.