Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Belle Meade Deer Park



Marker ID: THC 3A 116
Location: Jackson Boulevard, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Jackson Boulevard follows the contour of the 408-acre Belle Meade Plantation Deer Park, established by John Harding in 1833 or 1834. The park became a favorite picnic spot for Nashvillians. By 1854, it held approximately 200 deer and 14 buffalo. A few deer which survived the Civil War returned and rapidly multiplied. When the park closed in 1904, it held between 250 and 300 deer and a few elk.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission