Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Homes of David Lipscomb



Marker ID: THC 3A 117
Location: on the eastern edge of the Lipscomb University campus, at the intersection of Granny White Pike and Morrow Avenue, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 6.337    W 086° 47.736
  36.10561666    -86.7956
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This cabin was home, periodically, up to 1882 of educator, editor, and religious leader David Lipscomb and wife, Margaret Zellner Lipscomb. The Associated Ladies for Lipscomb moved it here from Bell's Bend in 1985. In 1903 the Lipscombs built “Avalon” as their final home, and gave the surrounding farm as the campus for the Nashville Bible School, founded by Lipscomb and J. A. Harding in 1891. after Lipscomb's death in 1917, the school was renamed David Lipscomb College.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.