Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Immaculate Mother Academy



Marker ID: THC 3A 126
Location: 7th Avenue South between the intersections of Drexel Street and Middleton Street, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 09.145    W 086° 46.663
  36.15241666    -86.77771666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD053
 



Text:

In 1904, a Philadelphia nun and heiress, Mother Mary Katherine Drexel, purchased this site for Immaculate Mother Academy, which included a primary school and the first Catholic secondary school for black students in Tennessee. Holy Family Catholic Church was moved here in 1919, and the primary school was renamed for it. Immaculate Mother became a fully accreditted[sic] high school in 1940. Until their closing in 1954, the schools were staffed by the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrement of Bensalem, PA.