Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Richardson House



Marker ID: THC 3A 143
Location: on 16th Avenue North, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 10.106    W 086° 48.139
  36.16843333    -86.80231666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDWB6
 



Text:

This house, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, was built in 1905 as the home of Reuben B. and Mary Knowles Richardson. Richardson, who served as Capt. of Eng. Co. No.4 from 1893 to 1923, was one of the first Blacks to obtain this rank in Nashville. In 1923, Eng. Co. No.4 moved from Woodland St. to 12th Ave. No. and Jefferson St., and became Eng. Co. No. 11. In 1930, the name of the building housing that company was changed to Reuben B. Richardson Hall.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.