Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Harris Music Building



Marker ID: THC 3A 145
Location: at the intersection of 17th Avenue North and Phillips Street,
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 10.037    W 086° 48.229
  36.16728333    -86.80381666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This Italianate structure was built ca. 1876 as the home of Richard Harris, an entrepreneur and owner of Harris Furniture Co. In the late 1880s, he became the first Black trustee of Fisk University. W.G. Waterman, a Fisk professor, became owner of the house, and in 1909 he conveyed ownership to Fisk. In 1927, the building became the Music Annex. In 1991, the Music Annex was rededicated as the Harris Music Building.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.