Historic Markers Across Tennessee



William Bowen House Circa 1787



Marker ID: THC 3A 146
Location: on Long Hollow Pike (Tennessee Route 174), Goodlettsville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 19.583    W 086° 42
  36.32638333    -86.7
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

William Bowen House
Circa 1787


Near Mansker’s Creek stands a rare example of Federal architecture built by Capt. William Bowen and Mary Henley Russell. Bowen, an early pioneer and Indian fighter had served in the French & Indian and Revolutionary wars before moving his family to the Cumberland Settlements. The house was restored and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. A grandson, William Bowen Campbell, served as fifteenth governor of Tennessee.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.