Historic Markers Across Tennessee



TSU's Reserve Officers' Training Corps



Marker ID: THC 3A 158
Location: John Merritt Boulevard and 33rd Avenue North, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Established in April 1919, the Reserve Officers' Corps at Tennessee State University (then Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial State Normal School) was one of the first ROTC units at an African-American college. Under First Lieutenant Grant Stuart, emphasis was placed on military science and preparing African-American officers as leaders.