Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Engine Company No. 11



Marker ID: THC 3A 164
Location: 1745 18th Avenue North, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized January 15, 1885, Nashville's first African-American fire unit, Engine Company NO.4, was located at 424 Woodland St. On January 2, 1892, Capt. c.c. Gowdy, hoseman Harvey Ewing, and reel driver Stokely Allen were killed while battling a fire which destroyed a full city block in the business district, along 3rd Avenue North. Funeral services for the fallen firefighters were held in the State Capitol building on January 6, 1892. In 1923, Engine Co. 4 moved to North Nashville and became Engine Co. 11. In 1966, Engine Co. II moved to its present location.