Historic Markers Across Tennessee



New Hope Baptist Church



Marker ID: THC 3A 168
Location: Davidson County, in Hermitage, 6010 New Hope Road
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized in 1946 by Elders Peter and Thomas Fuqua, New Hope Baptist Church is one of the oldest churches in the Nashville Baptist Association. In 1847, one mile south of here, a log church edifice was erected. It was destroyed by fire in 1871. This present building was built in 1872 on a site donated by WE. Hagar and J.T. Gleaves. Bricks were handmade on the premises for the solid walls. The Rev. G.W Hagar, the longest-serving pastor (1861-79), is recognized for his efforts in rebuilding the church. He is buried in the church cemetery.