Historic Markers Across Tennessee



First Masonic Hall



Marker ID: THC 3A 186
Location: on Church Street 0.1 miles west of 4th Avenue North, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 9.813    W 086° 46.775
  36.16355    -86.77958333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM882
 



Text:

Across the alley stood the first Masonic Hall in the state, designed by architect Hugh Roland in 1818. Marquis de la Fayette was entertained there in 1825 by Past Grand Master Andrew Jackson. The 17th General Assembly of Tennessee met there in 1827. The structure, mush used as a civic center, burned in 1856. The rebuilt hall was used as a hospital supply store by Federal troops during the Civil War.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.