Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Monroe Harding



Marker ID: THC 3A 208
Location: 1120 Glendale Lane, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 5.665    W 086° 47.737
  36.09441666    -86.79561666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Monroe Harding
Established 1893


In 1893, Fannie E. Harding founded Monroe Harding Memorial Orphanage in honor of her late husband, Dr. James Monroe Harding. The Presbyterian Church supported the home. It moved to Glendale Lane in 1934 to serve children of all ages. In the 1970s, the home became primarily a residential facility for at-risk-teens and has since expanded to include children, youth and their families through residential care as well as off-campus community programs.

Tennessee Historical Commission.