Historic Markers Across Tennessee



A home for Jackson’s Slaves



Marker ID:  
Location: in the backyard of the mansion at the rear gate, on Rachel's Lane, Hermitage, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 13.013    W 086° 36.663
  36.21688333    -86.61105
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Andrew Jackson arrived at the Hermitage in 1804 with nine slaves. By 1821, that number had risen to fifty. In 1823, Jackson brought another thirty enslaved African American here from his recently sold Alabama plantation.

Faced with pressing need for additional slave housing, he built several new cabins and converted his long farmhouse into a one-story slave cabin. Over the next thirty years, Jackson’s slave population continued to grow, peaking to 150.

When Jackson retired from the Presidency in 1837, he returned home to face debts accumulated by his son. After Jackson died in 1845, Andrew Jackson Jr. encountered continued money woes that eventually forced him to sell off slaves and land. In 1856, he sold The Hermitage to the State of Tennessee and moved his family and all but a few of his slaves to a farm in Mississippi.

Shortly before the Civil War, the Mississippi farm failed and the Jackson’s returned to The Hermitage as tenants. After the war, the Jackson family stayed at The Hermitage while only a few former slaves remained as paid employees.

Erected by The Hermitage.


Notes:

More information:
The Hermitage, The Home of President Andrew Jackson
Wikipedia: Andrew Jackson
The White House: Andrew Jackson
Wikipedia: Slavery