Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Fort Nashborough



Marker ID: DAR 
Location: in Fort Nashboroough on 1st Avenue North 0.1 miles south of Church Street, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 9.858    W 086° 46.522
  36.1643    -86.77536666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Named in memory of General Nash of North Carolina, who fell at Germantown, Pennsylvania, October 4, 1777, in the War of the Revolution.

Erected on the bluff near this location by the pioneers of the Cumberland settlement in the year 1780, as a central fort of defense against Indian attacks.

Was the scene of many noted historical events, especially the Indian attack of April 2, 1781, known as

"The Battle of the Bluff."

This representation of the original fort was built by appropriations from the State of Tennessee, the County of Davidson and the City of Nashville through the patriotic work of the Tennessee Society Daughters of the American Revolution and the persevering efforts of the four Nashville Chapters: Viz: Cumberland, General James Robertson, Campbell, and Colonel Thomas McCrory.

Erected in 1930, - the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the settlement of what now is the City of Nashville.

Erected 1930 by Tennessee Society Daughters Of The American Revolution.