Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Nashville's First Public School



Marker ID: NHC 12
Location: on Broadway near U.S. 41, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 9.553    W 086° 46.906
  36.15921666    -86.78176666
Waymark: WMB7QE
 



Text:

Nashville's first public school, the Hume School, opened here Feb. 26, 1855. A three story brick building, the school employed 12 teachers and served all grades. In 1874 high school classes were moved to Fogg School built on adjoining corner lot. Named for educators, Alfred E. Hume & Francis B. Fogg, the schools were replaced by Hume-Fogg in 1912.

The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.