Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Powder Grinding Wheels



Marker ID: NHC 15
Location: on Park Plaza, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 9.176    W 086° 48.821
  36.15293333    -86.81368333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8VE
 



Text:

These wheels used by the Confederacy to grind gunpowder at Augusta, Ga., in 1863-1864 were made in Woolwich, England, and were shipped on the blockade runner “Spray,” via Mobile. After the war, Gen. Miles purchased them for use at Sycamore Powder Mills, Cheatham County. They were exhibited at the Tennessee Centennial Exposition in 1897.