Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Glendale Park



Marker ID: NHC 21
Location: On Tower Place at Lealand Ln., Nashville, TN 
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 05.776    W 086° 47.420
  36.09626666    -86.79033333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4NJN
 



Text:

Here, near the center of a 64-acre woodland amusement park owned by the Nashville Railway & Light Co., the Glendale streetcar line turned back toward town. The park opened in 1888 to attract passengers for the railway—originally steam, electric after 1893. A zoo was added in 1912. The park closed in 1921, a casualty of automobiles and the Depression.