Historic Markers Across Tennessee



First Airfield



Marker ID: NHC 31
Location: on Hampton Avenue west of 23rd Avenue, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 6.995    W 086° 49.033
  36.11658333    -86.81721666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

E. L. Hampton's pasture became “Hampton Field” when transient airplanes began landing here during the first World War. About 2,000 feet long from here west, bounded north and south by Golf Club Lane and Woodmont Boulevard, it continued in use as Nashville's first airfield about five years until the opening of Blackwood Field in 1921.

Erected 1970 by The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County