Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Nashville Fire Department



Marker ID: NHC 36
Location: On 2nd Ave, north of Gay St., Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N N 36° 10.176    W 086° 46.789
  36.1696    -86.77981666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAP9
 



Text:

The city’s first fire-fighting force of volunteers was formed in May 1807. The first paid Dept. was organized on July 29, 1860, with J.S. Dashiell as chief. Three horse-drawn steam engines were bought. A telegraph alarm was installed in 1875. Chief A.A. Rozetta used the first auto Nov. 21 1910. First gasoline driven engines were used Sept. 1912.