Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Saint Cecilia Academy



Marker ID: NHC 47
Location: at the intersection of Dominican Drive and Athens Way, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 11.246    W 086° 48.004
  36.18743333    -86.80006666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The name Saint Cecilia, patroness of music was chosen for a grammar and high school for girls, opened in October 1860 by four sisters who had moved to this site from Saint Mary’s convent, Third Order of Saint Dominic, Somerset, Ohio on August 17, 1860. The central building was completed in 1862, the west wing in 1880, and the east wing in 1913.


Notes:

Correction: The east wing was built in 1903.