Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Fort Negley Site



Marker ID: NHC 55
Location: on Ft. Negley Boulevard north of Chestnut Street, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 8.577    W 086° 46.552
  36.14295    -86.77586666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM422Z
 



Text:

The guns of Fort Negley, commanding three turnpikes to the South & Southeast, opened the Battle of Nashville, Dec. 15, 1864. This site was selected by Capt. J. S. Morton as the key strongpoint in the Federal line around the city. The European style fort, named for General James S. Negley, was built of stone, logs, earth & railway iron.

Erected 1975 by The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.