Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Mansker’s First Fort



Marker ID: NHC 72
Location: on Long Hollow Pike (Tennessee Route 174), Goodlettsville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 19.6    W 086° 41.983
  36.32666666    -86.69971666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Here on west bank of the creek that he discovered in 1772, Kasper Mansker and other first settlers built a log fort in 1779. John Donelson’s family fled here in 1780 for safety from Indians. Mansker abandoned the fort in 1781 and moved to Fort Nashborough. He returned in 1783, built a stronger stockade on east bank of the creek a half mile upstream, and lived there until he died in 1820.

Erected 1981 by Tennessee Society, Daughters of the American Colonists and The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.