Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Customs House



Marker ID: NHC 76
Location: on Broadway (US 70) near 7th Ave. Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 09.553    W 086° 46.868
  36.15921666    -86.78113333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAP8
 



Text:

President Rutherford B. Hayes laid its cornerstone in 1877. Designed by Treasury Department architect W.A. Potter, it was occupied in 1882 by collectors of customs and internal revenue, U.S. courts, and Nashville’s main post office. Addition to rear began in 1903, wings in 1916. Declared surplus in 1976, then given to the City, it was renovated by the development firm that leased it.


Notes:

Erected: 1982