Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Tennessee Ornithological Society



Marker ID: NHC 88
Location: on Union St, east of 4th Ave. N, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 09.875    W 086° 46.851
  36.16458333    -86.78085
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMAP7
 



Text:

On October 7, 1915, Dr. George Curtis, Albert F. Ganier, Judge H.Y. Hughes, Dr. George R. Mayfield, Dixon Merritt, and A.C. Webb met at Faucon’s Restaurant, 419 Union Street, approximately 25 feet east of here, to found the Tennessee Ornithological Society. T.O.S. was chartered by the state for the purpose of studying Tennessee birds. A journal, The Migrant, publishes accurate records of birds across the state. The Birds of the Nashville Area has local records. T.O.S. is the state’s oldest conservation group in continuing existence. Donated in memory of B.B. Coffey (1870-1966).