Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Nashville's First Radio Station



Marker ID: NHC 101
Location: on the northwest corner of the Belmont University campus, near the intersection of Wedgewood Avenue and Magnolia Boulevard, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 8.151    W 086° 47.696
  36.13585    -86.79493333
Waymark: None
 



Text:

June 1922, Boy Scout John H. DeWitt, Jr., started Nashville's first radio station (WDAA) on the Ward-Belmont Campus. Assisted by music teacher G. S. deLuca, he broadcast Enrico Caruso records to the opening of the River and Rail Terminal on the river at Broad Street. DeWitt was WSM radio station's chief engineer, 1932-1942, and president 1947-1968.

Donated by Gaylord Entertainment Company


Erected 1997 by The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County