Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Saint Thomas Hospital



Marker ID: NHC 102
Location: Hayes Street, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 9.127    W 086° 48.047
  36.15211666    -86.80078333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVBH9
 



Text:

On April 11, 1898, at the request of Nashville Bishop Thomas Byrne, the Daughters of Charity opened Saint Thomas Hospital on this site in the former home of Judge J. M. Dickinson. Named for Byrne’s patron saint, the hospital began as a 26-bed “refuge for the sick,” opened a new building in 1902, operated a School of Nursing, and grew to 333 beds before moving in 1974 to 4220 Harding Road.


Notes:

Opposite side: Engraving of Saint Thomas Hospital