Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Harpeth Hall School



Marker ID: NHC 111
Location: 3801 Hobbs Rd, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 6.187    W 086° 50.363
  36.10311666    -86.83938333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On Sept. 17, 1951, Harpeth Hall opened as an independent girls' college preparatory school on the former P.M. Estes estate. Susan Souby headed the first school of 161 girls. Originating with Ward Seminary (1865-1913); Belmont College for Young Women (1890-1913); and Ward Belmont School (1913-51), Harpeth Hall continued Nashville's tradition of superior single-gender education. Mottoo: Let us lift up the mind and spirit.

Erected 2002 by The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.