Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Scarritt College for Christian Workers



Marker ID: NHC 145
Location: 19th Avenue South north of Scarritt Place, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 8.757    W 086° 47.83
  36.14595    -86.79716666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Established in Kansas City in 1892 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South and moved to Nashville in 1924, Scarritt trained laity in Christian education, music, and missions until it closed in 1988. Much of the Collegiate Gothic campus architecture was designed by Nashville architect Henry C. Hibbs. The campus was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. A leader in racial integration in the South, Scarritt integrated its student population in 1952. The Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke in Wightman Chapel to the Conference on Christian Faith and Human Relations on April 25, 1957. From its beginning, Scarritt had an international student population that reflected its commitment to a global understanding of racial justice and equality. Its mission and vision continue today through the Scarritt-Bennett Center.

Erected 2012 by The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County, Donated by the Scarritt Alumni Association.