Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Devon Farm



Marker ID: NHC 
Location: Hwy 100 near Devon Farm entrance
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Home of John Davis, early surveyor, who came from N.C. to Nashville in 1788. Davis was an Indian fighter & scout in the State Militia until 1795. He settled on Big Harpeth in 1795-96 and that year built a 1½-story home of hand-
made brick. The farm, named for Devon cattle bred here, has been owned by seven generations of Davis-Hicks descendants.

Recent research shows that this home was built by Giles Harding who came to Davidson County from Virginia and purchased this tract of land in 1798. Harding’s son, Morris Harding, married Fanny Davis, daughter of John Davis. John davis lived in the area, about 3 m NW of the Harding Place. The Hardings had no children, and Fanny’s nephew, Edward Hicks, a well-known breeder of Devon cattle, inherited the farm after his aunt’s death and changed its name from “Oak Hill” to “Devon Farm”.

The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.


Notes:

Erected: 1975 Recent research shows that this home was built by Giles Harding who came to Davidson County from Virginia and purchased this tract of land in 1798. Harding’s son, Morris Harding, married Fanny Davis, daughter of John Davis. John davis lived in the area, about 3 m NW of the Harding Place. The Hardings had no children, and Fanny’s nephew, Edward Hicks, a well-known breeder of Devon cattle, inherited the farm after his aunt’s death and changed its name from “Oak Hill” to “Devon Farm”.