Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Hyde's Ferry Turnpike



Marker ID: NHC 
Location: Hyde’s Ferry Rd & Cato Rd., Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 12.139    W 086° 51.852
  36.20231666    -86.8642
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Here was toll-gate #2 of the Hyde’s Ferry Turnpike Co., chartered in 1848 to build a road from Nashville to Ashland City and Sycamore Hills. Richard Hyde’s ferry crossed the Cumberland 2.6 m. southeast, where the railroad bridge is now. Davidson County paid $10,000 for its part of the road in 1901. Cheatham County bought its portion and freed it from tolls in 1916.


Notes:

Erected: 1971