Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Parmer School



Marker ID: NHC 
Location: Parmer Park on Leake Avenue
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1927 8.25 acres of the Belle Meade Plantation were acquired from its owner Walter O. Parmer to use for a new school. Parmer School opened that fall as a one-room school with grades 1-3. In 1928 the school was transformed into a modern brick building with 4 classrooms adding grades 4-8. By 1951 there were 18 classrooms. The school closed in 1982 and burned in 1985. The stone and brick archway was left as a reminder of the school’s history. The property became a public park in 1986.


Notes:

Erected: 2008