Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Scottsboro/Bells Bend



Marker ID: NHC 
Location: Old Hickory Blvd @ Ashland City Highway
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Scottsboro


In 1869, Tom Scott opened a general store 500 yards to the southwest on Old Hyde’s Ferry Pike that also served as a post office and public gathering place. Scott’s Store became the center of this farming community, which stretches north to Joelton and south to the tip of Bells Bend. The unincorporated crossroads community was called Scott’s Store until 1902, when it was renamed Scottsboro.

Bells Bend


Bells Bend, first known as White’s Bend, is an 18-square-mile area encompassed by a U-shaped bend in the Cumberland River. Numerous archaeological sites indicate that the area has been inhabited for at least 10,000 years. Bells Bend has thrived as an agricultural community since the early 19th century with land owners that included Montgomery Bell and David Lipscomb. The Clees family operated a mill and ferry service beginning in the 1870’s. Clees Ferry ceased operation in 1990.

Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County



Notes:

Erected: 2009