Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Seeing Eye, Independence and Dignity Since 1929



Marker ID: NHC 
Location: Commerce Street @ 3rd Avenue North
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 09.936    W 086° 46.724
  36.1656    -86.77873333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGHRN
 



Text:

The Seeing Eye, the world-famous dog guide training school, was incorporated in Nashville January 29, 1929, with headquarters in the Fourth and First National Bank Building at 315 Union St. Morris Frank, a 20-year-old blind man from Nashville, and his guide dog, Buddy, played a key role in the school’s founding and subsequent success. It was Frank who persuaded Dorothy Harrison Eustis to establish a school in the United States.


Notes:

Erected: 2009