Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Site of First Store



Marker ID: NHC 
Location: NE corner of 2nd Ave N & Banks St.
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 9.914    W 086° 46.641
  36.16523333    -86.77735
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Lardner Clark came from Philadelphia in the early 1780's with ten horses packed with piece goods, needles and pins. He established Nashville's first drygoods store by 1786, on a site 30 yards east. The building, which served as store, tavern and dwelling, faced south and was known as "the house with a plazza."

Erected 1963 by The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.


Notes:

Erected: 1968 Note: Davidson County records show Lardner Clark suing customers for unpaid bills as early as 1783.