Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Site of Original Gas Works



Marker ID: NHC 39
Location: 800 2nd Ave. N, Nashville, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 10.288    W 086° 46.858
  36.17146666    -86.78096666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Nashville Gas Light Co., founded March 1850, with General Washington Barrow, President, built first gas works in Tennessee for manufacturing gas from coal. First street lamp was lighted Feb. 13, 1851 at Second Ave. North and Public Square. First gas stove was used in 1894. Natural gas piped from Texas was first used in Nashville on August 5, 1946.

The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.


Notes:

Erected: 1971