Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Ward's Seminary



Marker ID: NHC 
Location: 169 8th Avenue North
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Ward’s Seminary for Young Ladies, founded in 1865 by Dr. William E. Ward, stood at this site many years. Dr. Ward, a graduate of Cumberland University in Lebanon in both law and divinity, died in 1887. The school was sold, but continued to operate as Ward’s Seminary until 1913 when it merged with Belmont college to form Ward-Belmont, a high school and junior college for women. Ward’s was regarded as one of the leading schools for young women in the South.

The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.


Notes:

Erected: 2001