Historic Markers Across Tennessee



William Gerst Brewing Company



Marker ID: NHC 
Location:
County: Davidson
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Nashville Brewery opened here in 1859 operating under several names and owners until William Gerst acquired it in 1893. Gerst brewed some of the South’s finest ales and lagers until Prohibition, when sodas and malt beverages were bottled. William Gerst died in 1933, the year prohibition ended, and his four sons resumed operations using the popular “Brewed in Dixie” slogan. Gerst Brewery closed in 1954 due to national competition.

The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.


Notes:

Not erected as of this date