Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Blackwood Field



Marker ID: NHC 
Location: Shute Lane at Meadowgreen Dr., Old Hickory, TN
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 13.120    W 086° 36.269
  36.21866666    -86.60448333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1921 the State rented land west of Shute Lane and erected two hangars here for the 105th Observation  Squadron, Tennessee National Guard.  The airfield of about 100 acres was named for H. O. blackwood, who gave $1,000 to aid the project.  the first airmail flight from Nashville was from here to Chicago July 29, 1924.  Airplanes used the field until 1928.


Notes:

Erected: 1970