Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Black Churches of Capitol Hill



Marker ID: NHC 83
Location: James Robertson Parkway and Charlotte Pike
County: Davidson
Coordinates: N 36° 09.829    W 086° 47.238
  36.16381666    -86.7873
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGNCC
 



Text:

1. First Baptist Church, Capitol Hill (1848)
2. Gay Street Christian Church (1859)
3. Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church (1887)
4. St. Andrews Presbyterian Church (1898)
5. St. John A.M.E. Church (1863)
6. Spruce Street Baptist Church (1848).
These six churches stood within 1/6 mile of this marker.

These six Black churches stood in the center of Nashville’s prosperous Black business district before the Capitol Hill Redevelopment Program. Several began before the Civil War as “missions” or Sunday School classes of earlier white churches. All boasted memberships of over 1,000 by 1910 and claimed the city’s most prominent Black business and professional families. All but one moved in the 1950s, and all continue to serve the Nashville community.

The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.


Notes:

Erected: 1987