Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Bridgeforth High School



Marker ID: THC 3F 41
Location: 910 N 1st St, Pulaski, TN
County: Giles
Coordinates: N 35° 12.584    W 087° 1.599
  35.20973333    -87.02665
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Though black public education existed in Giles County by 1869, Bridgeforth was the first black high school. Designed by America's first black architectural firm, McKissack and McKissack, which had local roots, and named for black educator J. T. Bridgeforth, the school operated from 1937 until 1958, when a larger facility was built nearby. In 1965, Giles County became the first county in Tennessee to voluntarily integrate its schools.

Tennessee Historical Commission