Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Governor John C. Brown



Marker ID: THC 3F 44
Location: on Madison St. near the entrance to Martin College, Pulaski, TN
County: Giles
Coordinates: N 35° 12.007    W 087° 2.040
  35.20011666    -87.034
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3M1D
 



Text:

Built between 1853 and 1860 by Dr. William Batte, this house is a significant example of Greek Revival architecture. As the home of Dr. Elihu Edmondson, it was occupied by Union troops during the Civil War. The house was owned by John C. Brown after his term as Governor of Tennessee. In 1927, the residence was sold to Dr. and Mrs. James Knox Polk Blackburn, who modernized the dwelling known as “Colonial Hall.” Martin Methodist College purchased the house in 1994. Two years later, it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Tennessee Historical Commission



Notes:

More Information:
Wikipedia: Neill S. Brown
Wikipedia: John Calvin Brown
General John Calvin Brown
Governor John C. Brown
John Calvin Brown
Neill S. Brown